So after making our huge move to NYC and trying to get settled I needed some normalcy, something to do with the kids that gave us a little bit of feeling of home. Which was hard to come up with considering every bit of our lives had been turned upside down.
So even while in temporary housing and now in our new home we headed off the the local library.
Here is why we love the NYC library system:
- There are multiple locations and what is great is that you can borrow from one library and return at another one if you are in a different area or just visited a particular location for an event. This made life much easier for us as we explored different neighborhoods.
- All three NYC locations we visited had children programs each week. From lego time to story time we got to feel a little bit of normalcy again. It is something so simple but was a great way for the kids to know that life would be a routine soon enough and all would be good.
- It is a great free place to stop for a rest while out and about or if you are visiting the city with kids and just need somewhere to unwind inside.
- They have everything from toddler time to free tax prep to knitting classes and it is all free.
- The Stephen A. Schwarzman Building; often referred to as the main library is breathtaking inside and out with a great history, research area, exhibits and many events year round. It is well worth a tour, has a great children’s area and is located adjacent to Bryant Park, another favorite place of ours in the city.The NYC library has a wonderful website with all you need to know: http://www.nypl.org